Friday, January 7, 2011

Matthew 13-14

Yesterday was a lovely day for reading. Not only did I get to read Matthew 13-14, but later I had an opportunity to go back and over the reading and take notes on some areas of interest. It was a lovely time of gleaning and review. Unfortunately the day got away from me after the fact and I never had a chance to post.

The parable of the sower is so famous, but as I read it again and Jesus interpretation I found myself intrigued by the words. I wondered if enough of us, as professing believers, even considered that we might be seeds among thorns being choked out by the cares of the world and its riches. We often as Christians make cliche comments about being "not of this world" but how caught up are we really in the cares and riches of the world when we really do a serious evaluation.

Then there was of course the parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price. Have we given up everything to seek after the Kingdom of Heaven. When I honestly ask myself this question, I must sadly answer no. It doesn't often feel like I've given up anything. My life is full of abundance. I must ask myself where I am lacking and fervently pray the Lord would reveal such things to me.

Sadly in chapter 14 we are given the account of the death of John the Baptist. We are given yet another example of how a woman of the world can negatively effect the choices men make. Be there helpers ladies. Do not influence the men in your life to sin or follow after the desires of the world. Be very careful to not be deceived in this area.

But the reading closed with miracles. The first account of Jesus feeding the multitudes and of course the even arguably more famous account of Jesus walking on water. Why did Peter doubt with Jesus right there in front of him? Why do we?

No comments: