Saturday, January 8, 2011

Matthew 18-19

Wow!! The book of Matthew is full of tons of great scripture.

I was thinking how Jesus told the disciples we all needed to become like little children. I was thinking about my boys (18mo and almost 3). They have such an innocent faith in the Lord. They do not question or doubt, but believe what they are told. Fortunately, we will give them the tools they need to defend their faith, but that is a topic for another day. I can't help but wonder if that is what He meant when He said to be like little children.

I have really noticed this pattern of forgiveness Jesus teaches about. We really have NO right to hold grudges or be angry. It is imperative we constantly remind ourselves all we have been forgiven. I am ashamed to think how long I have held on to some anger towards my husband knowing how much I have been forgiven.

Marriage. Jesus is clear. Unless you divorce your spouse for marital unfaithfulness you are an adulterer. We are NOT allowed to leave a marriage when we are unhappy or we feel unloved, or we don't feel like our needs are being met. There is no "we grew apart" excuse if you are a believer in the Word of God. I find myself continually frustrated with professing believers who are not doing everything in their power to save their marriage.

"Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." Matthew 19:21-22

We say we long for sanctification in Christ, but do we strive for perfection. Lord help me give all I have to follow you.

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife[q] or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

There are those who truly leave everything to serve Jesus with their entire lives. It is important we pray for our missionaries and pray God would reveal to us how we can contribute to those who leave their families and land to go forth and preach the gospel to the nations. I'm convinced they will be first in heaven.

No comments: