Friday, January 7, 2011

Matthew 15-17

"For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornicators, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.” Matthew 15:19-20

I have had some pretty ugly things come out of my mouth, defiling things to be sure. It is a daily battle for me to think before I speak. God tells me in His Word this is a heart issue. Even the evil thoughts we do not say come out of our heart. I find when I am in His Word my heart is better and less likely to defile me before man and God. We must remain steadfast in what we put in our minds. We must think on things above and not on earthly things.


Jesus heals more and feeds more and I am left in awe of His provision, not only the examples set forth in His Word, but by the miraculous ways He has provided for myself, my family and other believers I know and love.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" Matthew 16:26

What do we give in exchange for our souls? Fornication, adultery, drunkenness are just a few ways I see the world around me giving up their souls for instant gratification and temporary fulfillment.

The account of the Transfiguration of Jesus was in today's reading. I have to say Matthew 17:10-13 is probably the most confusing scripture to me. I really have to do a little more reading into this area of scripture.

And my last thoughts for the day are wishing I had the faith of a mustard seed. The disciples were trying to cast the demon out. They even asked why they couldn't do it. It was like they didn't know their faith was lacking. What if I don't know my faith is lacking. Lord please reveal to me if and when it is.

2 comments:

Jennifer Lazar said...

Your blog sparked my interest today and I am blessed. Thank you. It made me think of my" own mustard seed" as just today I'm really struggling with doing something that is very hard for me on my own. I got into some research and in my translation the word "trust" is used instead of "faith". Upon studying the two words I find faith is described as "complete trust or confidence in someone or something" and the word trust (as a verb) is described as "believe in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of". They are obviously similar but for me the word "strength" stands out. It is my opinion that we all have "faith" in Yeshua, but how often do we have use the trust in Him? Rely on his strength? Today I was relying on me. This reminded me that my trust is in my Lord. Just like he walked up and was like "bring him to me!" I'm gonna go with HIm and ask him to take care of it, to give me his words. Anyhow, also regarding vs. 10:13 "The Torah teachers say Eliyahu(Elijah) must come first" This is based off Malachi 3:1 and 3:23-24. Remember all these disciples were Torah observant messianic jews! So they were aware of Malachi and that Eliyahu must come before Messiah and so they just saw Yeshua(Jesus) transfigure and come down the mtn. and Yeshua says "Dont' tell anyone what you have seen unitl the son of man has been raised from the dead" and they were confused because they KNOW he is the Messiah so it would seem hypocritical of the scripture for Yeshua to be there as the messiah had Elijah not already come. This leads me to think maybe Elijah is one of the witnesses in Rev. 11:3-6, making the Torah all the more true (of course)! lol Dunno if you've ever had the pleasure of a Seder (passover meal) but if you have one thing that stands out is the Cup of Eliyahu (Elijah). It's there to welcome him because of those verses! In Matthew 11:10-14 Yeshua quotes Malachi 3:1! And THEN goes on to say in vs 14"Indeed,if you are willing to accept it, he is Eliyahu, whose coming was predicted."So it all kinda speaks for itself once we understand the mindset of the disciples, the fact that Eliyahu was up there with Moshe(Moses) before Yeshua, and that Yeshua says "if we are willing to accept it, he is Eliyahu" speaking of Yochanan the Immerser. Craziness. lol Sorry I hope I wasn't confusing. This is based off some commentaries I"ve read as well as my own thoughts. Keep the blog going, I love them and thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Helps me out too!

Jennifer Lazar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.